15 January 2009

New Technology

My parents got a new oven some time ago. I thought it was brilliant. You set it to preheat, and it beeps when it is preheated.

After ruining more cookies during the holidays and in the past week than I have IN MY LIFE, I decided that it was time to get an oven thermometer. Funny how I never needed one with the old oven - I could sense when it was done preheating, I knew where the cold spots were, if I should cook something longer or shorter than it said. With this new oven, we have no understanding. It hates me, with its shiny stainless steel front and artistically shaped burner tops (or whatever they are called). I make the cookies, it burns them. It's a menace.

So, i put in the oven thermometer before I started baking the cookies today. It beeped cheerfully to say that it was ready! and I could put the cookies in now! Not so. The oven thermometer, for which I shelled out 19.00 for, told me that the oven was 100 degrees colder than it should be.

Talk about premature beeping. Now I sit, waiting for the oven to finish preheating and hope that it preheats up to the right temperature! If it doesn't, we will have words. Actually, I will use some four letter words, kick it, and then write a post-it that reminds me how many degrees off the oven is.

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.