16 January 2009

DIY

in 1964, Catherine Genovese was raped and killed in the courtyard of her apartment while all the tenants watched. Each thought that someone else would call the police, so no one called the police. I feel that people used to be like "well, I don't have to do something, someone else will do it." I have a pothole in my street. -Someone else will complain. I have a bad president. - someone else will do something about it.

But if the crash yesterday, the election and 311 are any example, people are starting to take control for themselves. No ferry was like "someone else will go help out the plane." No young voter was like "Someone else will make sure the right person wins." And with 311, no one thinks that someone else will call about the broken fire hydrant, the illegally parked car, the pothole.

No longer are people going to hand over money and say "someone else will make sure I am getting the right mortgage."

So maybe things are changing for the better....

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.