I have given up on the idea of writing about Sunday in Dublin. Leave it up to your imagination! It involved guinness, a jail, a plane flight, and a train ride.
This weekend we went to Loch Lomond and stayed in a cabin on one of the Islands. It was a lot of fun, but some things went awry. First, and mainly, we got to the bus stop too late to shop legitimently for food before getting on the bus - so there was severe rationing after dinner on Friday. The second was that we got stuck on the island on saturday - it was too windy and rainy to take the ferry (really a glorified boat) to the mainland to explore the town and the coast. So Saturday was a lazy day - I caught up on my journal, explored the island, read some trashy books (including "The Devil Wears Prada" so i can now see the movie), and played lots of parlor games. I don't think I ever want to play BS again. Ever.
Oh on Saturday we also watched some coverage on TV of Veterns/Armistice/Rememberence Day. They showed a clip of Bush's speech: "Let us remember the sacrifice that they made, etc. etc." I was alarmed at myself that I was dismissive of him even on Veteran's Day, the one day where I should look beyond political loyalities and severe disagreements with how this country is being run, but I couldn't.
On Sunday we escaped the island at around 9:30 and went for a long walk in the woods. Surprise Surprise, there was a castle. It was not open to the public though. There were also ruins of a castle on the island. I think there are far too many castles in Scotland. The poor Scottish Heritage Trust certainly has their work cut out for them. They even build fake ruins as decoration in some places!
A picture of the ruins:

A picture of me wading in the loch:
No comments:
Post a Comment