09 November 2006

Eight Days a Week part 1.

Dublin. Where to begin?

FRIDAY
We got off the plane and into the city, where upon Charlotte gets us lost. I'm wheeling the red monstrosity so when she goes into another hotel (a faux pas - to ask directions to a hotel from another hotel) so I stood outside on the sidewalk. There was a man standing on the stoop smoking a cigarette. This bodes no good. He approaches.

Strange man with cigarette: you should really stand on the stoop so no one takes your bag.
Me: I'll be fine right here.
SMWC: Really, you'll be safer on the stoop.
Me: Um, I'm fine.
SMWC: (noticing my accent) Where are you from?
Me: New York
SMWC: What are you doing here?
Me: My sister and I are visiting Dublin for the weekend. She's right inside
SM: Just for the weekend? That's short
Me: (at this point i'm like, charlotte! come out now! and i decide that there is no way i can ignore this man) I am studying in scotland and we flew over.
SM: what are you studying?
Me: Latin
SM: (starts quoting latin from the bible. I have no idea what he is saying)
Me: Um, i dont know what that means.
SM: it's latin (in my head, duh!). You really should stand on the stoop.
Me: (I just want to say to him "i am from new york and know what is safe and what is not) Oh, my sister will be right out.
SM: something unintelligable.
Me: She'll be right out. (I figure repetition is the best policy)
Charlotte reappears. The hotel is half a block away.

SATURDAY
We wake up early, and make paths to Trinity College Dublin. We saw the book of kells and took pictures of the courtyards. I bought my friend T a new Trinity College Dublin hat. Boys and their hats! Honestly! Example 1: T always wears his TCD hat. and it smells. and it is falling apart (he might beg to differ, but it is) So I told him that i would get him a new one and that it would be identical. I had to go to TWO stores to find one. Because I knew if i got one that was similar but not the same it would be COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. After the 1st store, Charlotte suggested I just buy fabreeze. Example 2: This guy A wears the same hat ALL THE TIME. or at least he used to. It is from coming in second place in soccer and it also smells. Do boys not NOTICE smells?

Then we went to the National Photo Gallery, where they had an exhibit of photos of Waterford, where the crystal is made. It was interesting and right next to this farmers market with all these fabulous vegetables. I didn't buy any. Because what would I do with vegetables? After the National Gallery was the National Museum. Very nationalistic, Dublin. and so then we went back to TCD to meet Charlotte's friend from camp who lives in Dublin. My sister has friends from Camp. Granted, I do too, but... I am younger.

We all went to Christ Church (I apologize, no pictures in this entry, I am just trying to get through what happened. I'll post some later maybe) which is the protestant cathedral in Dublin. The Catholic one is St. Patricks. I love cathedrals. and churches. Then we walked over to St. Patricks, which was closed for a graduation. Apparently, even though they finish in june, they graduate in November. Odd. So we decided to go to the Dublin Castle.

The Dublin Castle was really interesting. It was built in the early 18th century after it was completely burnt down in 1694. It burnt down because the viceroy's son threw a party while his parents were out of town and someone knocked over a candle. Hmm... goes to show that teens will never change. The tour guide was endearing in a dorky way, and kept saying "one more thing to realize..." and "another point..." After a while I had trouble not laughing.

By that time, we were thoughly exhausted and had to have a restorative cup of hot chocolate and sit in our hotel room for like 30 minutes. Then we went out to dinner at this really good italian place. Charlotte's friend then took us out for drinks - I had a cider. There were four people dressed liek superheroes sitting at the bar. We decided that they were planning world domination.

I was asleep by 10:30.

SUNDAY
We started off with a tasty irish breakfast and then started our two mile walk to the old jail. now i did not think it was goign to be two miles, and charlotte was like "oh, we'll just walk" I started to get crabby. And then we were at the Jail. We went on a tour. I am getting rather tired of writing this blog entry. I'll finish Sunday tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.