A couple years ago I had the wonderful experience of working as a junior counselor at the camp which I attended as a camper. Not only did I learn life-guarding, CPR and how to lead camper activities, I also learned the "behind the scenes" of the camp.
I am now in a similar situation, student teaching at my former high school. The effortlessness of the teacher having a smooth lesson, of the departments having a uniform grading policy, of the tiny decisions that the students don't even see is completely fake. As a student, I was oblivious to how much teachers did and how busy they were. Every minute of extra time they give to do extra curricular activities, to work with a student one-on-one is a gift. I can't believe how I took it for granted. If I had known how hard teachers worked, I think I would have worked harder.
So I propose: Shadow a teacher day. Every student should have one day of their high school careers where they shadow a teacher, or administrator. Sit with them while they do their prep, help them write a test, go to faculty meetings, see what it is like to juggle your own family and the school family.
03 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- 100 Greatest Books (7)
- books (2)
- Conversation (2)
- craftiness (2)
- fun (2)
- I love NY (2)
- J3 (1)
- New York (1)
- rant (8)
- recipes (2)
- room (1)
- Short (5)
- sound and fury signifying nothing (3)
- travel (3)
Blog Archive
-
►
2010
(41)
- December (2)
- November (2)
- October (2)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (2)
- June (1)
- May (2)
- April (5)
- March (5)
- February (6)
- January (9)
-
▼
2009
(62)
- December (4)
- November (2)
- October (5)
- September (3)
- August (6)
- June (1)
- May (6)
- April (5)
- March (3)
- February (6)
- January (21)
-
►
2008
(99)
- December (9)
- November (16)
- October (4)
- September (12)
- August (14)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (7)
- April (10)
- March (14)
- February (8)
- January (1)
Disclaimer!
This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.
No comments:
Post a Comment