08 January 2009

The malfunctioning windows of my soul

Who said the eyes are the windows to the soul? Well, if it is true, my soul is truly messed up.  I went to the eye doctor before Christmas to get my contact prescription renewed, since I ran out of contacts in september. About time, no?

Well, getting new contacts was not to be, sadly. The eye doctor discovered that during the routine examination that I have an allergic inflammation in the inside of my eyelids. Delicious. So he prescribed a antihistamine eye drop and told me to go back to taking clariton everyday. Wonderful. Then he put this dye into my eyes which shows if you have correct tear production. Woe is me. Apparently I also have chronic dry eyes. Hooray! In response, he told me to use two types of eye drops. One restores the lipids (tears are made up of oils and salt water) and then a saline eye drop that I am supposed to put in every two hours. The problem is that the dry eyes are more irritated by the inflammation than normal eyes, so the sum of the problems is greater than the parts. 

I went back to the eye doctor yesterday. He didn't remember me until he looked at my chart, and then was like....oh I remember you. So the inflammation has improved, but not as much as he'd like, so he prescribed another eye drop which treats severe inflammation. Unlike the other one, this one is for acute flare ups and I'll only be using it for about 2 weeks.  However, my eyes have improved enough to wear contacts again, so he gave me one pair and told me to wear them about 6 hours a day (I have to take them out to put in the second prescription three times a day).

However, to prevent irritation from the contacts, I have to use clear care, which is the hydrogen peroxide contact wash with the funny case. They have to be in the solution for at least 6 hours for it to neutralize. If I am taking my contacts out for a nap or just a little while, I have to use regular saline solution. 

If you have been counting, that's 6 different eye products. 8 if you count the cases for when the contacts are out of my eyes.  I am never getting Lasix. It would probably make everything worse.

In addition, my vision has gotten worse, but luckily enough not to need a new prescription for either my glasses or my contacts.

Don't even get me started on the pills I have to take every morning....

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.