11 November 2008

another day, another subway, another rendition

Does this song sound familiar to everyone?

Sometimes in our lives
we all have pain
we all have sorrow
but if we are wise
we know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong, 
and I'll be your friend, 
I'll help you carry on
etc. etc. etc.

I spend an inordinate amount of time on public transportation, going to school, going to job 1, going to observe classrooms, going to tutor, going home.  I have concluded that this song is the homeless person's anthem. Every homeless person that gets on the subway and says something along the lines of I'm homeless, let me sing you this song, God Bless You will invariably sing this song. 

I think the reasons are simple. It is a fairly easy song to sing and it tugs at people's heartstrings. I have decided to give a dollar to the next homeless person who does not sing that song. Otherwise I just try and avoid eye contact. I can live with myself because I am going into a so called "virtuous" job. 

If I could, that song would play when you opened my blog.

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.