18 September 2008

Free Home Improvements!

I have embarked on two bedroom improvement projects, soon to be 3.

1) I am sick of having so many books, and random stuff, I just don't know what to do with. It's the sort of stuff, like magnetic poetry, or flip books, that you can't really donate, but I do not want to throw it away - that is wasteful! As a solution, I put about five or six things out side on the stoop at a time, and wait for people to take them away. It's wonderful! It's also interesting to see who stops and takes what (my desk is at the window, and I spy on them). So much less work than craigslist!

2) I am sanding our mantle piece. I wasn't going to tell the blog world because I wanted to surprise my sister, but I might as well talk about it. For years, it's been semi finished, with paint chips, and splotchy stain, finish and then grease stains. I am sick of looking at it, so I started sanding it today. I got about 1/8th finished. I'll work on it a little bit every day. Right now I can't decide if I want to stain it or not.

3) I am slowly changing the accent color of our room from blue to red. This weekends project is to make the window seats out of red fabric. Ingeniously, I am using my old egg-crate mattress pad as the filling. Free and reusing!

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.