21 May 2008

Jerks Inc.

I realized the other day, in a moment that felt like a ton of bricks, that people are jerks and I am overly sensitive.

I was crossing the street in a crosswalk, and had right of way. A car had stopped for me. I waved thank you and continued to cross. The car started, and the driver leaned out the window and said "If you walk faster, it's better exercise."

He had absolutely no reason to say that. He was being purposefully mean, and it really depressed me. I may be rude unintentionally to people on the street, but I'd never be purposefully mean, or I wouldn't make the effort.

I feel like that Jewel song with the line "I'm sensitive and I'd like to stay that way."

This moment made me think about two issues, one, that men are the more frequent perpetrators of rudeness, rape, murder, etc. What is it about our culture that produces men who think it's okay to lean out a car window and insult people? The other issue is that I really hate driving. I hate the animosity and anomonity of it, how people are jerks but think it's ok because no one knows who it is in the car. So men in cars are just doomed towards Jerkhood.

Get me out of cars and onto the Island of Lesbia.

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.