22 May 2008

Escapism

More and more frequently, when I find myself frustrated with my current consumerist lives of my self and the people around me, I google small towns and think about living in a place where everything is within walking distance, you get your eggs and milk from local farmers and you have to grow and can your own vegetables. Today I zoomed in on Elmira, Oregon. This place is beautiful.




If I lived there, I'd read the paper every day, walk my dogs and go for a run. I would have a vegetable garden and bike to the general store. I wouldn't own a car or a cellphone. The only concessions I'd make to technology would be electricity, running water, internet and phone. I wouldn't have a TV, but I'd have a subscription to some sort of online library.

The only problem is how I would finance this lifestyle. I think I need to become certified to teach something other than Latin.

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.