07 March 2008

The end is nigh

The end of the term is coming up. That means three finals and one paper for me, and midterms for my students. Unfortunately for them, the more stressed I am, the harder I make their tests and quizzes, although I feel that these are quite fair.

I am starting to get worried that I will never hear from NYU, whether or not I got in. I was having a conversation with my cousin chris (you can read his blog here) and he told me that there were so many places better than NYU to get a teaching certificate. I was literally speechless that he would say that to my face without trying to approach it from a "why do you want to go there angle." I have many reasons for applying to NYU. Firstly, it is in New York, where I want to live and want to teach. Secondly, I can live with my parents at home, something I do not mind doing and save a little money. Thirdly, I am interested in the new masters they have about child advocacy and educational policy, which I would like to apply to sometime in the future, after I have some experience teaching and living as an adult.

Speaking of my cousin Chris, he too was at the Carney and Sandoe Job fair over the weekend. You can read about it on his blog. I know this is passive aggressive, but he was really insulting to everyone else there, making fun of their poorly fitting black pant suits and how they kind of were like cattle. I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the point. I am not above making fun of bad wardrobe choices, but it annoyed me that he didn't refer to me at all, therefore lumping me with everyone else at the fair. Secondly, he stayed with us. My dad was out of town, and so he described my father, and then my mom as "Harvey's wife." Last time I checked, she had a name as well and did lots of things for him while he stayed with us. So I'm peeved, perhaps a little more than I should be because it's just a blog, and who haven't I pissed off with mine?

I annoyed a lot of people with my old blog - my xanga, if anyone remembers those. I just reviewed it and came to the conclusion that I was a lot less inhibited on that than I am on this one. Some posts are downright too much information. You can read it at www.xanga.com/eb1085. Of course, I was semi single at the time I wrote it, and a lot more interesting. Now I just do things like make Shepard's pie on Friday night, have an internal alarm clock set to 7 am and think having two beers is a crazy night.

So I'm kind of eating my words right now. I have been trying to get drew to stop saying adverbs without the "ly." One of his favorite phrases is "I'm real tired" or something like that. So, i personally think that is wrong, but etymologically, it's the more correct version of the word. An adverb descends from the instrumental case of a noun (the same as the dative). For example, "loud" was "hlude" Then, due to the loss of endings, it became "lud" spelled "loud." The suffix "-ly" comes from the Old English word "lice" which means "in bodily." So, some people some where added the "lice" to the "lud" and voila! "Loudly. This also appears in some dialects as "fast like." So those people you make fun of? They are actually more correct.

The things I learn in my History of English class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Etymological victory!
Sigh. So happy.

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.