26 November 2007

Eats, shoots and leaves.

I was reading this book about grammar over thanksgiving. The author is someone who gets really irritated when people speak incorrectly or write without commas. I wish I were that type of person, but aside from the cursory thought about the incorrect grammar, I really don't care, except when someone says "I am well."

NO. NO. NO. NO.

"I am well." is such a hypercorrection that I CAN'T TAKE IT.

"Well" is an ADVERB.
"Good" is an ADJECTIVE.

You would never say "I am quickly," You'd say "I am quick."

THEREFORE

I am good.

You could, if you REALLY wanted to use "well," say "I am doing well."

but honestly, "I am well?"

And these are college educated people!

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.