7:30 Alarm goes off. It is very annoying. I consider throwing a pillow at it, but just press snooze instead.
7:45 I get out of bed, but only to get my computer.
8:00 Edit an essay while huddled in bed. It is about four degrees in my room.
9:15 Leave to go print out essay, get tea, and do some reading. I had to read this Borges story about this guy who translated Don Quixote from old Spanish to modern Spanish. It was a little strange.
10:00 Have class. For the first half, we talked about Eclogue VII by Vergil. It is interesting analyzing a poem that you have translated. After that, we worked on scansion and then translated some of Eclogue 1. There is this one girl in the class who drives me UP THE WALL. Let me explain. There are often many ways to translate every phrase in Latin, but they all basically mean the same thing if you have your verbs and nouns doing the right thing. HOWEVER, she always asks "Couldn't it also mean...?" AHHHHH. The answer is usually yes, except when she is trying so hard to show off that she is TOTALLY WRONG. It is kind of mean for me to talk about her on this blog, but I justify it by saying that if she confronted me with what I have said, I would not deny it. I am usually excessively blunt.
12:00 x-hour in Translation: Theory and Practice. I really like Translation: Theory and Practice. It's a really interesting class that makes me really think. Today we discussed the pedological approach that latin translators (in the class) have versus the approach spanish/french/etc. translators have. The translators of latin often think that the most literal translation is the best because that is how we have been taught, and it is OK if it doesn't sound great in English, because that is perfectly acceptable to other Latin translators. The question is "is it acceptable to people who don't know Latin and how it works?"
1:00 x-hour in Roman History
2:00 the moment you have all been waiting for... Had soup and salad for lunch
2:30 Worked on essay due at 6pm
3:30 Finished essay, started MOUNTAINS of reading for Roman History. By mountains I mean 2 hours.
5:30 Went to hand in essay
6:00 Had dinner with DS
16 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- 100 Greatest Books (7)
- books (2)
- Conversation (2)
- craftiness (2)
- fun (2)
- I love NY (2)
- J3 (1)
- New York (1)
- rant (8)
- recipes (2)
- room (1)
- Short (5)
- sound and fury signifying nothing (3)
- travel (3)
Blog Archive
-
►
2010
(41)
- December (2)
- November (2)
- October (2)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (2)
- June (1)
- May (2)
- April (5)
- March (5)
- February (6)
- January (9)
-
►
2009
(62)
- December (4)
- November (2)
- October (5)
- September (3)
- August (6)
- June (1)
- May (6)
- April (5)
- March (3)
- February (6)
- January (21)
-
►
2008
(99)
- December (9)
- November (16)
- October (4)
- September (12)
- August (14)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (7)
- April (10)
- March (14)
- February (8)
- January (1)
Disclaimer!
This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.
2 comments:
I care what you had for lunch, Emma! My question, however, is what you put in your salad. I often get overwhelmed by the collis salad bar and end up just putting some onions on top of my lettuce, for fear that I'd make some terrible choice and end up with a nasty salad. What do you get? Do you have any collis salad tips?
I didn't realize you were still keeping this!!!!
Beth and I (she is visiting me here before she goes home) say hi, and she hopes you had a good holiday!!!
I had salad for lunch...no soup!
Post a Comment