08 November 2006

Will the future of tomorrow hold what they deserve?

This post does not contain my usual attempt at wit and lack of grammer.

Last night I stayed up until about 3 am, glued to live blogs of the election. At about 3:30, when the House was firmly in Democratic hands and only the Montana and Virgina Senate races were undecided I conceded defeat and went to bed. About 7:30 in the morning, D called, claiming that I had just called her. I was so asleep but managed to ask her how it was going. It was the same. I woke up too late to read the articles about election day, and only had time to see that the results were unchanged.

I don't know how to write this blog entry. Part of me is shocked and optimistic, and the other part of me realizes that for a while, nothing will change.

Under the optimistic category:
1) South Dakota rejected the abortion ban.
2) Missouri voted to protect stem cell research - that stem cell research allowed under federal law would also be allowed in Missouri.
3) A democratic governor was elected in Ohio.
4) Rumsfield resigned.

Under the nothing will change:
1) Partianship will continue.
2) George Bush is still president.
3) We are still in Iraq.
4) Wisconsin voted for a ban on gay marriage.

There is more in both categories, but overall though, it seems that there has been a rejection of the Republican Party. I said to one of my friends, yesterday is like "snowing in July." All these things seem too good to be true. I just wish it hadn't taken 6 years for people to realize that America was headed down the wrong path.

I reread Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address yesterday, because something I was reading contained the phrase "last full measure of devotion." The last couple sentences of the 272 word speech (which i am sure most of you are familiar with) are:

"It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain — that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

We have to keep working at making America a great country, and not allow partianship, corruption, and desire for retribution ruin the possibility that maybe, just maybe, everything will be alright in the end.

I'll write about Dublin tomorrow.

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.