10 October 2006

My 21st Birthday and Then Some.

Yesterday I turned 21. A milestone, perhaps. Not so much here, where the drinking age is 18 by law and 16 in reality. Anyway, I opened the two birthday cards I had recieved in the mail and went to class. Which was exciting, as always.

Then we went out to this bar/club called "The Pig and the Butterfly." Where we had champagne and participated in quiz night. which we bombed. Who knows the name of the villain in Star Trek, the Next generation? Certainly not me. Some of my friends might....

a posed action shot of a toast....


So I'm 21. I've been working on my list for this year. It starts very much the same as last year, except perhaps longer.
1) get my drivers license. It is verging on PATHETIC.
2) figure out what I am going to write my thesis on.
3) actually go to the gym (I think i make that resolution like every 2 months)
4) get a summer job
5) date someone older than me. It kind of bugs me that everyone (not that there are that many) i've dated has been younger than me. perhaps this shouldn't be on the list. it might be too much information. oh well. i'll just chalk it up to list vomit.
6) do the ledyard challenge.
7) finish reading all of Nabokov. I am so close yet so far. especially since i'm not quite sure if i can read his treatises on chess.
8) Cultivate my music taste.
9) continue to make lists like this for many many years.

I got a lot of emails for my birthday. About four of them said something along the lines of "I miss you and your sarcasm." Apparently my sarcasm is a defining characteristic. Although it is kind of funny because according to urbandictionary.com, "The word 'Sarcasm' is derived from a Greek word meaning 'tearing flesh', which is why sarcastic vegetarians are so ironic." I am ironic! yay! I'm like ray-en on my wedding day. or a fly in chardonnay! except those examples are not ironic. I'm like manet going blind.

OK now i'm on a "write about sarcasm" kick. This is me in a nut shell... I'm just feeding my "intellectual ego!"
"Sarcasm is said to be a low form of humour as its intent is generally to get laughs at someone else's expense. The pointed humour may not be funny to the victim but its funny to those who understand the barb as it feeds their intellectual egos. This is because sarcasm is a form of humour that is known to require the highest functions of our brains. Areas of the brain that decipher sarcasm and irony also process language, recognise emotions and help understand social cues. Sarcasm is related to our ability to understand other people's mental state so it's not just a linguistic form, it's also related to social cognition."- David Buley, Seaforth

Oscar Wilde might have said sarcasm is “the lowest form of humor but the highest form of wit,” but it could have been someone else.

Ok, I HAVE to go do homework or something else besides write about sarcasm.

Addendum: I am joining this society!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I like two of your new resolutions...the gym and the ledyard challenge...when do you want to do it?

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.