07 September 2006

"The Scottish Play"

Macbeth was written in 1604, right after James I was crowned king of both England and Scotland - two kingdoms, not united yet.

The story that Shakespeare tells is Macbeth kills the saintly King Duncan and becomes a tyrant, who is eventually killed by Macduff.

However, the true story is that King Duncan was known as King Duncan the poisoner because he killed so many of his dissenters. Duncan was also a puppet king, controlled by England. Macbeth was seen as a hero of the people who ruled fairly and well for seventeen years.

It is always important to remember that Shakespeare was working for the English court.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that your posts are educational and entertaining. . . that is so Emma.

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.