28 September 2006

Long (relatively) time no post

So classes started. The honours classes I am taking are fairly straight-forward. Latin Oratory has 6 people in it and is taught by the head of the department. She seems like a good professor. Or tutor, as they are called. Roman Drama is only 3 people (It's a good thing that I came, otherwise it would be 2!) The tutor has this habit of talking in a sing song way and inserting your name. As in, "So, Emma, that means that all of the ancient critics wanted to believe that drama was an imported art. This was because, Barbara, they saw theater as a crude and base form of entertainment."

Humpf. I feel like we will have a very interesting class.

I've known that I am going to write a thesis for all of college, but freshman year I was like "what do you write a thesis on Latin about?" I've figured out two things. That Roman literature can not be seen as historical evidence and can only be read on a text by text bases, and that I want my thesis to be on Drama, either Comedy or Tragedy.

This weekend I am going to a suburb of Glasgow to see a family friend. I have to take the train. I like the train. I like seeing where people live and what they do from a moving vehicle.

I am a firm believer that all foreign candy is delicious. Nothing has challenged that theory until yesterday. Some candy I am not so fond of because I don't like certain things, but in comparison, a chocolate bar with dried fruit is better here than in America. My sister and I have reached an agreement of sorts, where I send her foreign candy exchange for sisterly love and devotion - or other more material things, like Grey's Anatomy season 2 or tootsie rolls. So, yesterday I received an email that had requests, and a request from one of her friends, for a so called "Double Decker." I had never heard of such a candy bar, so when I saw it, I was like, I might as well taste what I am sending a girl whom I don't know at all. It was foul. Utterly completely foul. The texture was weird, the taste, reminiscent of cardboard covered chocolate with nuggat that had gone "off." If I weren't being paid back, there is no way that SORRY excuse for a chocolate bar would ever make it over the Atlantic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until you get your surprise!

Love and Devotion,

Your sister.

Anonymous said...

I am that Double Decker Bar loving girl your sister is friends with in DC! I have to say that in my opinion it is the king of all candy bars, foreign or domestic. You just need to develop your palate for the finer things in life. :)

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.