25 September 2006

London Excerpt

Instead of writing about all of London, I just want to write about one part of it in depth. Perhaps I'll write a humorous account of it tomorrow. Don't hold your breath.

I was walking in Hyde Park with my friend. We eventually came to the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain. Walking down a hill towards it, I saw a horseshoe of water running through the earth. As I got closer, it became a circle that rose and disappeared into the earth. At points, the water traveled quickly, at others, it was almost still, it bubbled, and ran smoothly. The earth was not solely a place for the circle, but curved and undulated. I paused near the center and closed my eyes. The physical properties took only a minute to process but with my eyes closed, I began to realize the connections of this memorial to others. The fountain was granite and cement, it was circular, and the use of the earth reminded me of the Vietnam memorial. It was not only a memorial for Diana, but a universal memorial. I opened my eyes and started to take pictures hoping to capture the feeling of the space. My friend asked me why i was taking pictures. How do you explain the moments and places where there is the perfect harmony of space, light and color?

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.