30 January 2010

Dear New York Times

Dear the New York Times,

Let me begin by pointing out that I love your paper. I honestly (perhaps incorrectly) believe that it is the best newspaper in the best city. You can do no wrong (except perhaps some grammar mishaps). Let me rephrase. You could do no wrong. 

However, an issue has come up. I started reading Modern Love in 2005 with the article about how a woman had used powerpoint to break up with her boyfriend. Then, there were such highlights as: What Shamu taught me about marriage. They were hip. They were fun. 

Let's talk about recent weeks. Infertility? A dying father getting involved with is son finally just to die? 

The modern love column is supposed to make me believe that I can find the one. That I'll know when I know. That I get to use wild animal techniques on my husband and kids. It's not supposed to tell me that (to quote a friend:) love is "much like our economy, depressed, broken and full of horror stories." 

Thanks NYtimes. 

-Emma

No comments:

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.