Basically, it's the same old January 1st article about how you can't change, so why make resolutions? Most people, having made resolutions, have fallen off the wagon by the middle of February. You can't change. Evolutionarily you are not supposed to change.
This is particularly depressing in light of the fact that every year I resolve to stop biting my fingernails. It's my worst habit, up there with sometimes forgetting to brush my hair for weeks or failing to do things. However, I know I can do it because I have done it before. The entire time I was in Glasgow, my nails were beautiful. So, after reading this quote:
"In the end, Ms. Leavitt said, she overcame her habit after visiting a hypnotherapist. “The hypnosis didn’t work, either,” she added, “but something he said did: that I would always want to bite my nails, but the key was that I would want pretty nails more. He was right. I still want to chew my nails to the nubs, but I keep admiring my hands instead.”
I decided that it is time. So I painted my nails with clear polish, and whenever I want to bite them, I will just think about how nice they will look when they are long and elegant.
Also, the idea of high school students making fun of me for all my faults is a great motivator.
No comments:
Post a Comment