Backstory:
I am student teaching at my old high school, with actually, my old Latin teacher. My high school is very traditional, and requires that students call teachers Mr. Smith or Ms. Doe. So I went there, and all the teachers were "Mr. Marcovitz" (I am making up names left and right.) or Ms. Jacob.
Current Conundrum:
Fast forward to student teaching, and I was talking to an old English teacher, and she told me that as a colleague, I was expected to call her by her first name. My reaction was "I don't know if I can!" It is weird to shift from basically an authority/non authority to a equal footing relationship. I don't know how I feel about it.
Conclusion
So far, today, when I talk about the teachers, I still call them Ms. Jacobs or whatever, but when I talk to them I force myself to use their first names. I guess it's ruder to not say their names at all!
23 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- 100 Greatest Books (7)
- books (2)
- Conversation (2)
- craftiness (2)
- fun (2)
- I love NY (2)
- J3 (1)
- New York (1)
- rant (8)
- recipes (2)
- room (1)
- Short (5)
- sound and fury signifying nothing (3)
- travel (3)
Blog Archive
-
►
2010
(41)
- December (2)
- November (2)
- October (2)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (2)
- June (1)
- May (2)
- April (5)
- March (5)
- February (6)
- January (9)
-
▼
2009
(62)
- December (4)
- November (2)
- October (5)
- September (3)
- August (6)
- June (1)
- May (6)
- April (5)
- March (3)
- February (6)
- January (21)
-
►
2008
(99)
- December (9)
- November (16)
- October (4)
- September (12)
- August (14)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (7)
- April (10)
- March (14)
- February (8)
- January (1)
Disclaimer!
This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.
No comments:
Post a Comment