Today I had a "discussion" about vegetarianism. Well, it wasn't really a discussion about vegetarianism, just me being told I was dumb for not eating meat.
Backstory:
There is an eating place at Dartmouth called the Hop. I do not like to eat there because they use the same grill/stove utensils to flip the bacon as they do the eggs, so if i have eggs, they taste like bacan. I do not eat bacon. I do not like the taste. I do not eat bacon because I think that the environmental impact of eating meat is too great to justify it. If i killed the pig myself and had grown it on a farm that used sustainable agriculture, I would eat said pork. But I do not.
Anyway:
I was discussing/complaining about how I don't eat at the hop because of their dual utensil use, and one of my bosses was like "you know, you are going to reach your 20s and be told by your doctor that you need to eat meat for iron and protein. Also, stop complaining, you shouldn't care." First of all, I do eat/drink chicken, fish, tofu, eggs, yogurt and milk for protein and I take multivitamens for iron and zinc and all sorts of things. Secondly, It is not that much effort to have a spatula with a green handle for vegetarian items, and a brown or other colored handle for meat items.
Why this made me upset:
I was being told I was dumb and silly. I was not trying to convert anyone else to pseudo-vegetarianism, and I bet money that my boss does not know why I am a vegetarian. It also pissed me off that I could not say anything about it because he wasn't interested in listening to me at all.
30 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- 100 Greatest Books (7)
- books (2)
- Conversation (2)
- craftiness (2)
- fun (2)
- I love NY (2)
- J3 (1)
- New York (1)
- rant (8)
- recipes (2)
- room (1)
- Short (5)
- sound and fury signifying nothing (3)
- travel (3)
Blog Archive
-
►
2010
(41)
- December (2)
- November (2)
- October (2)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (2)
- June (1)
- May (2)
- April (5)
- March (5)
- February (6)
- January (9)
-
►
2009
(62)
- December (4)
- November (2)
- October (5)
- September (3)
- August (6)
- June (1)
- May (6)
- April (5)
- March (3)
- February (6)
- January (21)
-
►
2008
(99)
- December (9)
- November (16)
- October (4)
- September (12)
- August (14)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (7)
- April (10)
- March (14)
- February (8)
- January (1)
Disclaimer!
This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.
2 comments:
I mean. . . .those are our bosses for you! You really shouldn't let either one of them upset you. Relax my little blonde friend.
I miss Matt.
I still miss Matt, but go ahead and don't relax. I take back my previous comment.
Post a Comment