29 November 2006

There are strange rivers.

Week In Review:

1) I fear I will never be as eloquent and well spoken as I want to be.

2) I found my dream job. Too bad I am still in college for two more years. However, the school is increasing in size every year,so there is always hope.

3) There is a campus uproar at Dartmouth about this Dartmouth Review Cover. Basically, as far as I can ascertain, there have been a bunch of racist incidents involving Native Americans and the old mascot. I for one cannot understand why there is certain nostalgia for a mascot that is both demeaning and racist. Some people, like Zachary Gottlieb in the article Can Dartmouth Stand for Racism attempt to jokingly claim (but it is oh so serious) that using the Native American mascot is no worse than dressing up as a cowboy. His tone suggests that both the old mascot and dressing up as a cowboy are no big deal. There is one huge difference. The cowboys were never driven off their land, confined to reservations, maliciously stereotyped and forbidden to speak their own language in boarding schools far from their parents. Everytime the Dartmouth Review acts in such an insensitive and crass way, I am shocked all over again. I both hope I never have an occasion to be shocked and dismayed again and that I never cease to be shocked when something like this happens.

The Dartmouth Review is not affiliated with the college, but it bears our name. And while I hope people can separate the views of the Review from the views of Dartmouth, I know that it is probably not likely. My friend D and some others are organizing a rally this afternoon at 2. Media will be there, I'll post the article as soon as I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

unfortunately we can't tell what your dream job is because the link doesn't work. it also looks like the Dartmouth article was removed and "no longer available".. perhaps the rally did something.

F

Disclaimer!

This blog reflects only my own personal views, and does not reflect those of NYU or any other organizations of which I am a part or those of which I have been part.